Monday 6 June 2016

Pretty little ghouls

I've had a few older style GW ghouls for  many years but never enough for a complete unit. More recently I received some GW plastic ghouls, you know, the hunched over ones that look nothing like the old metal ones. It took me a while, but I worked out how to make the new plastic ones look more like the old ones with a bit of putty and glue.

I wanted them upright like the old style ones which caused a bit of a problem. The new plastic ones look more like beetles to me, all hunched over, so I straightened them up by adding some guts with greenstuff and shaping and refitting the arms into the sockets. The heads still sat too low on the necks so I cut away the neck bit and made new necks with putty. I had to do a fair bit of puttying to make them look reasonable as you can see above.



This is the back rank. I posed the arms so that they were mostly by their sides or flung back in ghoulish fasion to stay out of the way of the front rank. I cut a few of the extra bones off them that they wore a trophies peircing their skin as this nonsense did not appear on the older style ghouls. Even so there's alomst a whole skeleton on the back of one new ghoul figure which I couldn't really remove without compromising the figure.

This is the front rank with their arms reaching forward. I forgot how I got the purplish colour on the skin so I had to experiment with a very watered mix of red and dark blue to make a maroon colour. These guys gave me a bit of trouble as every time I went to carve a bit of putty off or clean a flash line, the body would come away from the putty belly or the legs would snap off the putty belly. I ended put waiting for the putty to dry, then pulling the legs away from the putty and gluing it with superglue, then waiting for that to dry, then pulling the body away from the putty and regluing that. I had to follow the same process for the arms and the head as they all had putty bits between them and the body.


This is a rank of the older figures . It seems I also put a little bit of brown wash into the eye sockets at the same time that I washed the bones, to give them that sunken look.

Here's all the figures together as a unit. I think I did fairly well to get them to blend together. The colour scheme  does most of the work I guess.

Last of all I have this little fella which has been knocking around my collection for many years. I suspect he might have come out of a collection of GW Talisman miniatures I bought once. He's a little different again so I've stuck him at the back :-)

2 comments:

  1. Smashing stuff! sorry for the late comment I've been a bit busy with the forgotten heroes challenge, shame you couldn't take part heres a link to all the posting so far....

    https://forgottenheroessite.wordpress.com/

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it too late to join? I bought a figure and everything...

    I'll write up what I've done so far here anyway and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete